As announced a week ago, the ebook version of “LaTeX Beginner’s Guide” written by me is available for free download today, March 4, 2015.
I will answer any question to the book’s contents in the LaTeX Community forum. Experts: our forum also needs your help, perhaps have a look at the unanswered questions. Are you able to answer one, even if it’s older? Orginal poster and later readers would be happy!
Some details, simply copied from what I provided to the publisher earlier:
About This Book
- Use LaTeX’s powerful features to produce professionally designed texts
- Install LaTeX; download, set up, and use additional styles, templates, and tools
- Typeset math formulas and scientific expressions to the highest standards
- Include graphics and work with figures and tables
- Benefit from professional fonts and modern PDF features
Who This Book Is For
If you are about to write mathematical or scientific papers, seminar handouts, or even plan to write a thesis, then this book offers you a fast-paced and practical introduction. Particularly during studying in school and university you will benefit much, as a mathematician or physicist as well as an engineer or a humanist. Everybody with high expectations who plans to write a paper or a book will be delighted by this stable software.
What You Will Learn
- Install LaTeX and use the TeXworks editor to compile documents
- Design the page layout; create dynamic headers and footers
- Fine-tune appearances and the space of words, symbols, and lines
- Apply intelligent justification and customized hyphenation to achieve fine text design
- Typeset professional-looking tables and create bulleted and enumerated lists
- Write sophisticated math formulas, from in-text expressions to complex multi-line equations with various alignments
- Cross-reference objects such as figures, tables, and equations
- Load fonts and vary their shape and style; choose between thousands of LaTeX symbols from specialized fonts
- Use macros to save time and effort; load packages to extend LaTeX’s capabilities
- Generate an index, cite books, and create bibliographies
- Use external pictures, color, PDF bookmarks, and hyperlinks
- Structure and manage large documents by splitting the input
- Manage large documents containing lists, index, and bibliography
More details, including table of contents and sample chapter: Publisher’s LaTeX book page.